Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Song

In response to the complaint that this blog is preoccupied with politics, medical care, government and similar arcana, .....a song!


The Falconer

I always hoped that we would live forever,
And if not us then our devotion be
A point of permanence amide the chaos
But you see...

There is no center, all things drift and ride;
Opinions seem the depth of newsprint on a page;
Men bend to standards, perhaps one just renounced,
And Proteus is now a sage.

Our future soars away from us on falcons' wings,
A subject to the hidden currents of the skies,
What easy thought will swing our minds around?
What upstart winds blow ancient infantries?

And white clothed candidates tell us they will lead,
And I'm Candide with deja vu;
They say that we control our destinies
And I am Merlin passing through.

And so with you, my dear, your love for me is fad;
Last year I sang a solitary song;
But now, like love, I am in style this year
And like a dress can be put on.

No comments: