Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Sprint, Radio Shack and the New Business

My phone began to require charging every eight hours then, finally, expired. I assumed I needed a new battery so I went back to Radio Shack where I had bought it. They said I needed a new phone and signed me up for an expensive one. Then, to everyone's shock, the transaction could not go through because Sprint, the carrier, insisted it be done at their own store. Since I spent an hour already and the Sprint store was across town, I decided on retrying another day.
The next day I drove across town and spent an hour finding the Sprint store. There a huge muscular guy told me the phone was fine but the battery was not. I needed a new battery--probably 50 bucks or more--but I could not get it there; I had to go across town to the Sprint specialty store.
I left there for the other Sprint store. It was rush hour and a tough drive. More, the Sprint store was cleverly hidden. After searching I found it and, as I walked in, a young woman exited with her young child, cursing viciously about how she had wasted all her time finding the store and nothing was achieved. The child was somehow responsible. Inside I was told by a nice, condescending lady that my battery was fine; my charger was broken. Since three separate chargers had failed to charge the battery, I replied, the charger was an unlikely culprit. She assumed full condescension mode and plugged the phone into her charger. Sure enough, the phone flickered.
"See?" she said in triumph.
Now in my fourth hour of phone diagnosis I felt at least as competent. "You are just waking the electrons up. The battery is dead," I replied.
She shrugged and gave me a new battery for free. Now the phone is fine.
Hours of searching, multiple errors in assessment, inconvenience on inconvenience culminating in a free product given to me to prove I'm wrong. Does this make any sense?

No comments: