Thursday, August 20, 2015

Paul Schaffer, Sammy Davis Jr. and Time

Paul Shaffer has an interesting story about Sammy Davis Jr. and artists. Davis was scheduled to perform on the Letterman Show and Shaffer could not get hold of him to discuss his song and rehearse. Finally he caught Davis by phone and Davis said," 'Once in My Life' will be fine, Paul. Key of E going into F." Shaffer wanted to rehearse it but Davis did not. He arrived clearly unwell and again declined to practice. Shaffer had made a tape with his band and asked if, at least, Davis would listen to it. Davis reluctantly agreed.

Davis listened and said, "It's swinging man, but think of how much more fun we could have had if I hadn't heard this tape.'

Shaffer wrote, "His words still resonate in my ears; the notion still haunts me. Sammy swung that night but as he was performing I couldn't help thinking that his carefree feeling about time -- as opposed to my lifelong notion of the pressure of the time -- was coming from a higher spiritual plane. As a musician, I've always thought I rushed. I still think I rush. The great players never rush. It reminds me of that moment when I watched Ray Charles turn to his guitarist, just as the young guy was about to solo, and say 'Take your time son. Take your time.' "

No comments: