Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Maher

 


                           Maher

Bill Maher recently sounded normal.

The comedian Kevin Hart had recently told the New York Times “You’re witnessing white power and white privilege at an all-time high.”

Maher commented, “This is one of the big problems with wokeness, that what you say doesn’t have to make sense or jibe with the facts, or ever be challenged, lest the challenge itself be conflated with racism.”

He added: “Saying white power and privilege is at an all-time high is just ridiculous. Higher than a century ago, the year of the Tulsa race massacre? Higher than when the KKK rode unchecked and Jim Crow unchallenged?” He acknowledged that “racism is unfortunately still with us,” and its “legacy of injustice” lingers. “I understand best I can how racism singes a person’s soul so much they might see it everywhere. But seeing clearly is necessary for actually fixing problems, and clearly racism is no longer everywhere. It’s not in my home, and it’s probably not in yours if I read my audience right, and I think I do. For most of the country, the most unhip thing you could ever be today is a racist.”

Hyperbole is very successful in advertising but it risks diminishing the truth of the matter when challenged.

No comments: