Tuesday, January 3, 2012

An Empty Bowl

New Years has always been difficult for me. There is a tension between what I see for me and what the world seems to offer so the "Sacred Arbitrary Moment", the official start of the new year, is a time of conflict. And, as I straddle the "Sacred Arbitrary Moment", I usually feel a bit more in the past than the future. I never know the entertainers on the television celebration of the "Sacred Arbitrary Moment", I never know the loud, enthusiastic and grinning hosts and hostesses. I am, once a year, officially declared behind the times.

I do, however, love the football of the holiday. This year, though, my defects were only magnified by the sports events. Hoping to sit down in front of a good game or two with the company of a child or two and comforted by a Pepsi and a bowl of potato chips I found myself watching the introduction of the Hunger Bowl. The Hunger Bowl. I'm on the couch, eating chips and hot dogs with sauerkraut and I have to watch a bowl game raising hunger awareness. Now I would have thought that have a game devoted to hunger on a day of nationally agreed self indulgence would be a bad idea.

Only further evidence of my being out of touch.

No comments: