Sunday, May 10, 2015

Sunday 5/10/15


Today's gospel is the "Love one another" gospel: "This is my commandment: love one another as I love you.
No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." This strangely has more popular recognition in A Tale of Two Cities.

It has, of course, within, the debate of the meaning of love; there are countless kind. It also holds some peculiar lines about friendship: "You are my friends if you do what I command you. I no longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what his master is doing. I have called you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father."
For anyone concerned about the slave-friend conflict, Christ then says the very provocative "It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you..."
A being claiming to be an intergalactic power who says he sought us out.

No comments: