Sunday, July 5, 2020

Sunday/Simple People and Life









                       Sunday/Simple People and Life

“I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth,
for although you have hidden these things
from the wise and the learned
you have revealed them to little ones.
Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will.

.......

“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”


There are some interesting ideas here, that humbleness, meekness, and gentleness are secret means for managing the toil of the world. It is reminiscent of the Georgics, who see the rural life of inherent worth, connected to the truth of the natural world. What it means for the urban world, one can only guess.

“You have been told also that life is darkness, and in your weariness, you echo what was said by the weary. And I say that life is indeed darkness save when there is urge, and all urge is blind save when there is knowledge, and all knowledge is vain save when there is work, and all work is empty save when there is love; and when you work in love you bind yourself to yourself, to one another, and to God.” (from Kahlil Gibran, believe it or not)

No comments: