Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Burdens of Freedom

A friend of mine recently showed me a therapy for "men's health" he had acquired over the Internet. He was thrilled with it, was considering becoming a distributor for it and wanted my opinion. I read the description of the active ingredient, "bovine thalamic extract."

"Do you know what this is?" I asked. (The guy was an engineer.)

"No."

"Cow brains."

"Is that good?"

"It's against the law to sell this as feed for barnyard animals.

"Why?"

"Mad cow disease. Bovine spongiform encephalopathy. If people eat it they get a similar illness called Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease. It's spread by eating the brains and spinal cords of infected animals. But it's not against the law to sell it to you."

He went away disappointed but I was left wondering which was worse, deregulation or the pretense of regulation.

No comments: