Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sunday Sermon 5/26/13

This Sunday's reading contain some beautiful writing and ideas.
First, Proverbs' extols wisdom: "I was set up of eternity and of old before the earth was made." "I was with him forming all things and was delighted every day playing before him at all times./ Playing in the world: and my delights were to be with the children of men."
Romans discusses hope no politician would understand: "..but we glory also in tribulations, knowing tribulations worketh patience; And patience trial; and trial hope;" encouraged by the charity of God through the Holy Spirit.
Finally, Christ in John: "I have yet many things to say to you: but you cannot bear them now."

Again the message that the materialistic, thoughtful world is not enough to grasp all of the truth. Wisdom, here through the Holy Spirit, will expand knowledge.

It is reminiscent of Picasso's response to the man who asked him to explain one of his paintings. "It I could explain it," he said, "I wouldn't have had to paint it."
The Greeks did not like this thinking. Plato in Phaedrus has Socrates say, "I cannot help feeling, Phaedrus, that writing is unfortunately like painting; for the creations of the painter have the attitude of life, and yet if you ask them a question they preserve a solemn silence."

It is a knowledge beyond all words.

No comments: