Friday, October 28, 2011

Free Time! Occupy the Ballpark!

If our life on this planet is limited by time and our enjoyment in life a function of free time, what greater inequity in life is there than the unequal distribution of free time? A mystery to philosophers and a plaything of physicists, time, in some respects, is all we have.

There is no greater example of this inequity in life, this disparity of leisure time, than the unfair distribution of time by time zones and the callousness of the fat cats who control the World Series this year, particularly last night's game. A back-and-forth battle, individual and team heroics and three astonishing comebacks from the brink of disaster were all rolled up in an eleven inning contest that might go down as one of the best in the championship's history. And where was I? Asleep, preparing to go to work the next day.

Rather than stay up late in the night on the east coast I was forced by circumstance--my job, my responsibilities, the distortions of time zones, the fatigue from my work of the day--to miss this terrific game and be excluded from the excitement and enjoyment of it as well as the participation of of the game in history. I will have no memory of the great moments, no excitement to recall and no community of fellow participants to join. Nor will I experience the positive effects of the best of sports competition, a hallmark of American culture. Instead I will join that community of those who were forced by circumstance not to participate, those people --excluded through no fault of their own--who work, are fatigued from work, who at an early morning must rise to some occasion and especially those who are victimized by the eastern time zone when the games are in the central or west.

This morning I did not wake up on third base thinking I hit a triple, I woke up in the empty stands wondering what happened.

Workers of the world, unite!

No comments: