Sunday, November 2, 2014

Sunday Sermon 11/2/14

This gospel is filled with problems as Christ presents a confusing picture of Himself and His relationship with the Father:   
"I came down from heaven not to do my own will
but the will of the one who sent me."

This is the kind of thing that drove the Arians, the Gnostics and Mohammad mad. 
Then He promises all His followers eternal life:
"For this is the will of my Father,
that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him
may have eternal life,
and I shall raise him on the last day.”

And so Christ turns an ending into a doorway.


THEY are chanting now the service of All the Dead
And the village folk outside in the burying ground
Listen--except those who strive with their dead,
Reaching out in anguish, yet unable quite to touch them:
Those villagers isolated at the grave
Where the candles burn in the daylight, and the painted wreaths
Are propped on end, there, where the mystery starts. (D. H. Lawrence)

No comments: